Here are BUMEDNOTE 1410 and NAVMED 1410/1, both of which tell you how to apply for milestone positions. For the MC, that is Chief Medical Officer (CMO) and Officer-in-Charge (OIC). Other Corps include Director for Administration (DFA), Chief Nursing Officer, and Director for Dental Services:
The list of available positions is still being finalized, so I don’t have that yet.
Bottom line…do you want to promote to O6? Do you want a job that translates very easily to a leadership position in the civilian world when you get out? Do you want a job that will translate to an XO job? Milestones fit the bill for all of this.
In addition, we are encouraging CAPT and CAPT(s) to step up and apply for these positions as well, if interested. We need senior leaders for these roles.
If there are any questions, please reach out to me.
Finally, please see this note from our admin staff about hyperlinks not working in the PDF:
Just a heads up, a couple people now have asked about a “hyperlink issue” with the 1410. The URLs in the notice are correct; however, because Secretariat included hyperlinks and all the links are split on multiple lines, due to a PDF kink all links in the 1410 are adding “%20” at the beginning of each new line when you click or copy and paste.
To make it clear, here is how one split link appears when you click the hyperlink or copy/paste:
https://esportal.med.navy.mil/bumed/m00/%20m00c/pages/executive-medicine.aspx (you will get a 404 not found error if you go to this link)
And here is the actual URL as written in the notice (the correct URL):
We cannot change this. The URLs are correct as written and it’s a PDF glitch. To work around, personnel are advised to go to their browser window and type in the URL exactly as it appears in the notice (NOT click and NOT copy/paste). Alternately, they can delete any %20 that appears in the link if they still insist on click or copy/paste.
- Chief Medical Officer (CMO)
- Director for Administration (DFA)
- Director of Dental Services (DDS)
- Officer-in-Charge (OIC)
- Senior Nurse Executive (SNE)
The deadline is 15 JUN, just as it is for XO and CO applications. The note details the application process.
The link on page 1 of the note is not working for me, but here is one that should work:
I would emphasize the following portions of the note to anyone interested:
1. Applicants are to “be universally assignable and able to meet permanent change of station (PCS) parameters. Rare exceptions may be considered. Officers that are unsure if they meet PCS parameters for a FY 2021 career milestone assignment should discuss with their detailer prior to submitting an application.”
2. “Applicants who successfully screen are considered eligible for assignment to any career milestone OIC, DFA, SNE, CMO, and DDS position. Consideration will be given for the categories selected on the application; however, if slated the assignment will be based on the “needs of the Navy.” Officers who apply for career milestone screening should do so with this in mind, and be willing to accept the position for which they are slated.”
Here is everything you need if you want to apply for Chief Medical Officer, Officer-in-Charge, Director for Administration, Senior Nurse Executive, or Senior Dental Executive/Director of Dental Services:
Application deadline is June 1st.
Here are the documents you need in order to apply for Chief Medical Officer (CMO) and Officer-in-Charge (OIC) positions:
With superior performance in these positions, CMOs and OICs make O6. It is that simple. Plus, by applying for these positions you get to compete Navy-wide, not just at your command like many director-level positions like DMS, DSS, MEC Chair, etc.
In other words, if you are a senior O4, O5, or O6 who wants to assume leadership positions in Navy Medicine, this is your chance. Apply.
Over the next 1-2 weeks, I’m going to post the slides from the Specialty Leader Business Meeting that was held the day after the GME Selection Board finished. Here are the slides that talk about the new clinical communities and Chief Medical Officer role, which I strongly encourage any interested senior LCDRs or CDRs to apply for. I strongly believe that a successful CMO will make CAPT:
You can find the FY19 promotion board schedule here. Of note for Medical Corps officers:
Board #170 – Active O6 Staff – 6 Feb 2018
Board #265 – Active O5 Staff – 27 Mar 2018
Board #300 – Active O4 Staff – 15 May 2018
Board #404 – Medical Dept Career Milestone Screen – 25 Jul 2018
Board #405 – Medical Dept Command Screen – 25 Jul 2018
Here are the slides for a lecture on “Outside the Box Opportunities” that I gave at the 2017 Transition to Practice Symposium at NMCSD for all the graduating residents and fellows:
Topics covered include:
- Moving after your are selected for promotion
- How to PCS away from a command you want to leave before your rotation date
- Naval Hospital 29 Palms
- Naval Postgraduate School Distance Learning MBA program
- CMO and OIC positions
- Job announcements on this blog
Here is a video podcast:
Here is a document that lists all of the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) and Officer-in-Charge (OIC) opportunities:
Here is the post with the application procedures:
Here is the BUMED note if you are interested in applying to be an OIC or CMO: