- Chief Medical Officer (CMO)
- Director for Administration (DFA)
- Director of Dental Services (DDS)
- Officer-in-Charge (OIC)
- Senior Nurse Executive (SNE)
The deadline is 15 JUN, just as it is for XO and CO applications. The note details the application process.
The link on page 1 of the note is not working for me, but here is one that should work:
I would emphasize the following portions of the note to anyone interested:
1. Applicants are to “be universally assignable and able to meet permanent change of station (PCS) parameters. Rare exceptions may be considered. Officers that are unsure if they meet PCS parameters for a FY 2021 career milestone assignment should discuss with their detailer prior to submitting an application.”
2. “Applicants who successfully screen are considered eligible for assignment to any career milestone OIC, DFA, SNE, CMO, and DDS position. Consideration will be given for the categories selected on the application; however, if slated the assignment will be based on the “needs of the Navy.” Officers who apply for career milestone screening should do so with this in mind, and be willing to accept the position for which they are slated.”
Here is everything you need if you want to apply for Chief Medical Officer, Officer-in-Charge, Director for Administration, Senior Nurse Executive, or Senior Dental Executive/Director of Dental Services:
Application deadline is June 1st.
Here are the documents you need in order to apply for Chief Medical Officer (CMO) and Officer-in-Charge (OIC) positions:
With superior performance in these positions, CMOs and OICs make O6. It is that simple. Plus, by applying for these positions you get to compete Navy-wide, not just at your command like many director-level positions like DMS, DSS, MEC Chair, etc.
In other words, if you are a senior O4, O5, or O6 who wants to assume leadership positions in Navy Medicine, this is your chance. Apply.
You can find the FY19 promotion board schedule here. Of note for Medical Corps officers:
Board #170 – Active O6 Staff – 6 Feb 2018
Board #265 – Active O5 Staff – 27 Mar 2018
Board #300 – Active O4 Staff – 15 May 2018
Board #404 – Medical Dept Career Milestone Screen – 25 Jul 2018
Board #405 – Medical Dept Command Screen – 25 Jul 2018
Here are the slides for a lecture on “Outside the Box Opportunities” that I gave at the 2017 Transition to Practice Symposium at NMCSD for all the graduating residents and fellows:
Topics covered include:
- Moving after your are selected for promotion
- How to PCS away from a command you want to leave before your rotation date
- Naval Hospital 29 Palms
- Naval Postgraduate School Distance Learning MBA program
- CMO and OIC positions
- Job announcements on this blog
Here is a video podcast:
Here is a document that lists all of the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) and Officer-in-Charge (OIC) opportunities:
Here is the post with the application procedures:
Here is the BUMED note if you are interested in applying to be an OIC or CMO:
This NAVADMIN extended the deadline to apply for an Officer-in-Charge (OIC) position to 8/31/15:
Here is the original BUMED Note that lists the positions available and gives you all the details:
As the promotion opportunities for making captain decrease, commanders need to seriously consider any leadership opportunities that come their way. BUMED recently released the application procedures for fiscal year 2016 Officer-in-Charge (OIC) positions, which can be found here:
Only commanders or captains are eligible, but anyone junior to that should still read this note. It will give them an idea of the qualities Navy Medicine looks for in its future leaders and allow them to steer their career path in those directions.