I received a few e-mails asking for help figuring out physician pay in the Navy, and this is a long overdue blog post. In the spreadsheet below is the pay info for the various stages as you move throughout your Navy Medical Corps Career. I’m making a few assumptions:
- These are FY20 pay numbers (since the FY21 pay plan is not out yet).
- You promote at the normal times (O4 at 6 years, O5 at 12 years, and O6 at 18 years).
- Basic Allowance for Housing is with dependents in San Diego. You can personalize this here.
- The specialty is Emergency Medicine. You can look at the different amounts for other specialties here.
- You pass your boards and become board-certified after residency.
For those who don’t want to look at the spreadsheet, here are the bottom line annual salaries:
- New O3 intern – $95,976
- O3 GMO – $121,803
- Mid-grade O3 EM Resident – $120,348
- New O4 EM Attending – $180,249
- O5 EM Attending on a 6-Year Retention Bonus – $264,665
- O6 EM Attending on a 6-Year Retention Bonus – $287,878
Here’s the spreadsheet with hyperlinks:
Here are some more articles about the Social Security tax deferral: