Getting Retirement Credit for HPSP in the Reserves

Posted on Updated on

In the recently released Winter Medical Corps Newsletter, I noticed this paragraph in the “Readiness in the Reserves” article:

Shipmates,

I have just returned from PERS-9 (Reserves), reviewing important administrative processes. Here is the gouge…

HPSP Credit: Jeanitta Edwards verifies that the member was a HPSP participant and that the member is in a critical wartime skill (defined by DOD each year). Once she verifies this information, she sends it to another individual to load in the points for the year as credit towards retirement. The instruction requires a full year of service to receive credit for 1 year and caps the credit at 4 years. Unfortunately, because many medical schools start in July and graduate in May, the 4th year does not qualify. Some may have earned other points that year which can carry over for credit towards a good year. The 15 gratuity points are allocated on a pro rata basis so you will only get half those points for a half a year of participation. We will post the guiding documents to the Medical Corps Homepage. Please note that the actual HPSP policy is currently being rewritten.

A reader asked, “What are the official critical wartime specialties?”

Here is the portion of the document that lists them:

So what do those mysterious codes mean? They are defined in the Promo Prep, but since I’m such a nice guy here is the translation. The CWS include:

• General Surgery (15C)
  • Neurosurgery (15D)
  • Orthopedics (15H)
  • Radiology (16Y)
  • Anesthesia (15B)
  • Internal Medicine Subspecialties (16R1)
  • Emergency Medicine (16P)
  • Flight Surgery (15A)
  • OB/GYN (15E)
  • GMO (15F)
  • Family Medicine (16Q)
  • General Internal Medicine (16R)
  • UMO (16U)
  • Psychiatry (16X)

Update just prior to publication – My wife (a Reservist) was sent this chart in the Health Professions Officer Special and Incentive Pay Plan, and the specialties under “USNR” match the list above:

If you are in one of these specialties, you can get retirement credit for your time in HPSP (or at least 3 years of the 4). In addition to the info above, here is what else I could find about this program:

Policy Guidance on Reserve Service Credit for Participation in DoD Health Professions Scholarship and Financial Assistance Program

Army Policy – Guidance on Reserve Service Credit for Participation in DOD HPSP and FAP

Recruiting and Retention Incentives for Reserve Component Health Professions Officers

18 thoughts on “Getting Retirement Credit for HPSP in the Reserves

LT Frances Rosario said:
    March 10, 2018 at 00:53

There are multiple USUHS students that have been trying to get the same clarification for our medical school time and whether our active duty ENS time would count as “good years” in the reserves. We do ODS for 6 weeks before typically starting school (June) and graduate in May.

Would USUHS time count towards a reserve retirement (20 years total service) or would it get added on to retirement pay on the tail end (20 years from USUHS graduation plus an extra 4 years of credit added later = 24 years total service) just like an active duty retirement ?

Have tried asking multiple sources and get conflicting answers.

Joel Schofer, MD, MBA, CPE responded:
      March 10, 2018 at 07:03

I think USUHS time only counts on the back end, but I could be wrong. The USUHS policy I’m aware of is here: https://mccareer.files.wordpress.com/2015/06/usuhs-retirement-credit.pdf

LCDR Brian Park said:
        March 10, 2018 at 08:12

Sir, I have also gotten conflicting answers from various sources. However, looking at what you have posted here, I am starting to feel convinced that we may actually get credit for USUHS years up front. Here is my reasoning:

The USUHS memo states “such service must be credited under any provision of law based on active service unless such service is explicitly excluded. In this regard, 10 U.S.C. 2114(b) provides that the exclusions of 10 U.S.C. 2126 applicable to students in the Health Professions Scholarship Program are also applicable to USUHS medical students.”

Under 10 U.S.C 2126 is where the “SERVICE CREDITABLE FOR CERTAIN PURPOSES” including the clause about critical wartime specialties is listed. I’d love to hear your thoughts!

Joel Schofer, MD, MBA, CPE responded:
        March 11, 2018 at 08:38

An e-mail from the Reserve Liaison at BUMED was forwarded to me. Here is what it said about the various scenarios for RESERVISTS (not Active Duty) with some minor edits by me:

– If member went to USUHS, that time counts as active service on the front end of retirement.
        – If member did HPSP, then fills a Critical Wartime Specialty (CWS) billet, member gets 50 points per year, and gets sat years toward retirement on front end of retirement.
        – If member did HPSP, then is not in a CWS billet, member gets the 4 years’ worth of points on back end of retirement, after finishing 20 qualifying years of service.

Scott Wallace said:
    March 10, 2018 at 05:15

Hi Joel,

If we completed HPSP and retire at 20 years active duty, do we get any credit for our medical school years?

Joel Schofer, MD, MBA, CPE responded:
      March 10, 2018 at 07:01

To my knowledge, no.

Matt Southwick said:
        March 26, 2018 at 17:28

Like many HPSP students I completed 180 days (1/2 YEAR) of activated, on orders, active duty time during my four years of medical school while in the inactive reserves. Many drilling reservists over the years have encouraged me to pursue tacking at least that portion on to my total active duty time [as if it was simply up to me]. I have heard that there are regulations to cite that can get these months on active duty tacked on. While 6 months may seem trivial 1.25% of base pay for life seems worth going to bat for (for example going from 23.5 years to 24).

Any regulations supporting or refuting this point of view would be most welcome.

V/R

Joel Schofer, MD, MBA, CPE responded:
        March 26, 2018 at 18:12

I’m not sure that time we spent in the summers was truly active duty time. It seems it was at least reserve time, but the reserves are different. Reserve time generates points and you have to have enough points to have a “good year.” I’ve never seen anything that says you can reclaim that time, but maybe someone out there knows something I don’t know. I’ll ask the Corps Chief’s office as well and see if anyone knows anything.

Dave said:
    March 10, 2018 at 07:21

To clarify, the CWS HPSP credit gets front loaded, so you get to 20 with 16. Everyone gets the HPSP credited at 20, so you go from 20-24. If you’re active duty and stay on then I think it would affect your retirement bc your last 3 years of base pay would be higher bc you would be in the 24 yrs service column and base pay would be marginally more.
    Thanks for great blog!

Joel Schofer, MD, MBA, CPE responded:
      March 10, 2018 at 07:23

I agree that the CWS HPSP credit gets front loaded, but I don’t think Active Duty get credit for HPSP at the end. I could be wrong, though. If that is true, I’d need to see the policy.

Dave said:
        March 10, 2018 at 07:46

Thanks joel. I believe I have it. I’ll track it down and send to you.

Rupa said:
    March 12, 2018 at 12:26

Joel, thank you so much for taking the time to answer these questions. I served for 13 “creditable years” and went to USUHS (for a total of 17 years time). I left as a CDR. I am thinking about rejoining the reserves, but wondered how many years will count as good years towards retirement. Is it 13? or 17? thank you so much – this is such a critical piece of information for me. Best, Rupa

Joel Schofer, MD, MBA, CPE responded:
      March 12, 2018 at 20:11

I think you’d start at 17 years but I’d STRONGLY encourage you to double check that with the recruiter(s) when you are making your decision. I’d also make sure you get it in writing!

Rupa Dainer said:
        March 12, 2018 at 20:14

Thank you joel! Also that email from
        The reserve BUMED liaison …do they reference any instruction at all? You are so kind!!! Thank you!!!

Joel Schofer, MD, MBA, CPE responded:
        March 12, 2018 at 20:18

All the instructions/references are in the original post. I even updated it to include the Army policy that another reader found and sent to me.
        Good luck!

Rupa Dainer said:
        March 12, 2018 at 20:25

I wonder if that only points to retirement PAY rather than years creditable towards retirement …yes?

Joel Schofer, MD, MBA, CPE responded:
        March 12, 2018 at 20:29

I think the policies are talking about creditable years, but, again, the devil is in the details and I’d work it out with the recruiters (in writing) if it was me.

Rupa Dainer said: