Sailors, Marines and Civilian Teammates, (PDF of the original letter here)
As I stated in my confirmation hearing, I have discussed priorities that must be at the forefront of every action. Our mission, vision and priorities for the Department of the Navy are listed below.
I call upon you to make every effort count and to align your goals with our priorities. I look forward to making progress alongside you in these areas.
Mission: The Department of the Navy will recruit, train, equip and organize to deliver combat ready Naval forces to win conflicts and wars while maintaining security and deterrence through sustained forward presence.
Vision: We are an integrated Naval force that will provide maritime dominance for the Nation.
To accomplish this in the face of current and emerging challenges, we must renew our sense of urgency and speed of execution throughout the entire organization. Our core values and accountability at the individual and organizational levels will shape our culture and guide our actions.
Priorities: Our priorities center on People, Capabilities and Processes, and will be achieved by our focus on speed, value, results and partnerships. Readiness, lethality and modernization are the requirements driving these priorities.
People: Our military and civilian workforce is our greatest resource.
- We will enhance the performance of our force by improving policies, programs and training.
- The organization will capitalize on its best talent today, retain that talent over the long term, and find ways to continue to recruit the best people for the mission of the future.
- Our military and civilian team will be measured against the highest ethical standards for every task and mission.
Capabilities: We will be capable of providing maritime dominance and power projection required by the Nation.
- The organization will focus on training, modernization and maintenance in order to achieve a high state of readiness and enhanced lethality, now and in the future.
Processes: We must improve our processes in order for our people to meet future challenges.
- We will drive efficiency, adopt and implement new ideas, and leverage leading practices from industry and academia to positively impact and support acquisition, manpower, research, and operational processes.
Our actions across these priorities will ensure mission success today and in the future.