R 031435Z MAR 23 MID200080778338U
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC
PASS TO OFFICE CODES:
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/MAR//
SUBJ/SKILLBRIDGE EMPLOYMENT SKILLS TRAINING GUIDANCE UPDATE//
REF/A/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/171359ZSEP15//
NARR/REF A IS THE NAVADMIN 160/22, SKILLBRIDGE EMPLOYMENT SKILLS TRAINING
REF B IS THE DOD FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT REGULATION.//
RMKS/1. This NAVADMIN message updates SkillBridge registration procedures to
be conducted within the new SkillBridge application portal. It additionally
institutes new policy controls. Reference (a) remains in full effect except
as modified below.
2. Policy and procedure changes in this NAVADMIN are effective immediately
for all new SkillBridge applicants. In line with reference (a), Sailors with
prior command approval are grandfathered and may start or continue their
SkillBridge program as approved by their command. Sailors without command
approval must reapply under the guidelines of this message.
3. From this point forward, Sailors desiring to participate in SkillBridge
must register and apply for SkillBridge approval using the application portal
via MyNavy Education at https://myeducation.netc.navy.mil/. E-mail
registrations are no longer being accepted. Application portal instructions
can be found at
4. SkillBridge is intended to provide transition assistance and skill
development for Service members leaving the Navy. However, it is not an
entitlement and participation does impact readiness. As such, the time
allowed for program participation is now based on paygrade. If approved,
SkillBridge must occur prior to any terminal leave or permissive temporary
duty associated with separation, fleet reserve, or retirement. The following
limits indicate the maximum amount of time prior to the actual separation,
fleet reserve, or retirement date that SkillBridge participation can
a. Tier one (enlisted E5 and below) - 180 days or less.
b. Tier two (enlisted E6-E9) - 120 days or less.
c. Tier three (officers O4 and below) - 120 days or less.
d. Tier four (officers O5 and above) - 90 days or less.
5. SkillBridge applications for tier four personnel shall not be approved if
participation would result in a gapped billet. Additionally, tier four
applicants now require positive endorsement from the Director, Military
Personnel Plans and Policy (OPNAV N13) before they can begin
SkillBridge. Commanding officers (CO) must certify in any approval for tier
four applicants that SkillBridge participation will not result in a gap. The
Office of the Chief of Naval Personnel (OPNAV) SkillBridge registrar will
forward command-approved requests for tier four personnel to OPNAV N13. The
registrar will then notify applicants of OPNAV N13's decision.
6. Personnel who have received service-funded education, to include tuition
assistance, under-graduate and post-graduate education, will not be permitted
to start SkillBridge until all obligated service for that education is
7. Officers must fulfill their minimum service requirement for commissioning
prior to starting SkillBridge.
8. Officers serving under a retention bonus will not be permitted to start
SkillBridge until the service obligation for that bonus is complete.
9. COs should consider whether allowing SkillBridge participation by Sailors
in receipt of skill or billet-based special and incentive pays would
negatively impact mission readiness. In line with reference (a), COs are
always fully authorized to deny or curtail SkillBridge requests in light of
mission readiness impacts.
10. Sailors who relinquish an overseas housing allowance or overseas
military housing to return to the continental United States for SkillBridge
participation are not currently eligible for a housing allowance in line with
reference (b). This is a recognized gap that OPNAV is actively working with
the Department of Defense in order to develop a solution.
11. All other policies in reference (a) remain in effect.
12. Additional resources are available at
13. Direct all questions regarding SkillBridge policy to
navy_skillbridge.fct(at)navy.mil or by phone at (703) 604-5310.
14. This message will remain in effect until superseded or canceled,
whichever occurs first.
15. Released by Vice Admiral Richard J. Cheeseman, Jr., N1.//