The Henry C. Wu, James J. Leonard, and Llewellyn J. Legters Awards for Excellence in Research will be awarded annually to the USU Faculty members,in the estimation of their peers, have made the most significant contribution to the published literature during the previous three years (2018).
1. The Wu Award recognizes excellence in basic biomedical research.
2. The Leonard Award recognizes excellence in clinical research.
3. The Legters Award recognizes excellence in population health science research.
Award recipients will present an Award Lecture named in honor of Drs. Wu, Leonard, and Legters during a Research Symposium. Each awardee will also receive a memento and a cash award of $2,500.
The nominee must have a current university faculty appointment at the level of Instructor or above, excluding adjunct appointments. Any Uniformed Services University (USU) faculty member, staff, or student, may submit nominations for the Awards. Self-nominations by USU faculty are permitted. Resubmission of previous nomination packages is encouraged provided that the three-year deadline has not expired. Previous holders of the award are not eligible within the first three full years of their last award.
The nomination package should include 3 items:
1) A copy of one (1) selected original research paper(Published after January 2018) upon which the nomination is based and meets the following criteria:
(a) Paper must have been published within the last three years
(b) Paper must have been published while the nominee performed as the faculty at USU with a minimum rank of Instructor or above and must be considered a member of the Faculty Assembly
(c) The nominee must be first or senior author on the paper, in addition to having the USU affiliation documented on the published paper
(d) The research reported is original and empirical.
2) A brief statement from the nominator outlining the significance of the published original research paper.
3) A copy of the nominee’s current curriculum vitae.
The closing date for nominations is Sunday, August 1st, 2359hrs. The recipients of the Awards will be announced no later than September 10, 2021. Please send the completed nomination packages to firstname.lastname@example.org.