“Your SGLI coverage is still in place,” said Ann Stewart, director, Pay and Personnel Department, Navy Personnel Command. “Sailors who log into SOES for the first time will have to input their beneficiary information manually. That is why there is no information the first time you use the system. But rest assured, that that form you previously filled out to designate your SGLI beneficiaries remains valid, until you register with the SOES.”
The Navy announced the launch of online SGLI enrollment in NAVADMIN 085/17 in April 2017 as part of a Department of Defense and Veterans Administration joint effort, to allow active duty and eligible reserve and National Guard members to review their group and family coverage online. SOES is the online replacement for the paper form SGLI Election and Certificate, SGLV 8286. The new system eliminates unclear designations and missing or incomplete forms — problems identified with the paper-based system — and ensures all insurance holders receive the latest information about changes affecting their coverage.
The goal is for all Navy members to provide beneficiary name(s), share(s) of proceeds and certify their record with a digital signature by April 2018.
While the SOES enables active duty and eligible reserve members to manage their group and family coverage online, there are some Sailors who shouldn’t use the system. Sailors who already have a testamentary trust or a testamentary custodial account created by a Regional Legal Service Office (RLSO) attorney should not use SOES to update their SGLI designations. Sailors with a testamentary trust or a testamentary custodial account who have registered with SOES should see their RLSO to reinstate their trust and/or account. Sailors interested in creating a testamentary trust or a testamentary custodial account should also see their RLSO and not use the SOES.
Here’s how to input beneficiary information in SOES:
1. Visit www.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect.
2, Sign into milConnect on this page with your command access card (CAC). The green button is located in the upper right corner.
3. After signing in, you will be sent back to the milConnect front page. The menu bar will now display multiple options, one of which is ‘BENEFITS.’
4. Click on the ‘BENEFITS’ drop-down menu and click on ‘LIFE INSURANCE (SOES-SGLI Online Enrollment System).’
5. On the following page, scroll down to the blue continue button and click it (you may have to do so twice).
6. The following page provides you with your current Defense Eligibility Enrollment System (DEERS) information that must be verified. When finished reviewing, click continue.
7. The following page is where you can make your beneficiary selections. If this is your first time logging in, you will not see any beneficiary information listed. This does not mean you are not covered. You remain covered if you have previously filled out and signed an SGLI paper form. Please input your beneficiary selections into SOES.
8. After making your selections, click on the ‘YOUR COVERAGE’ tab and select the blue ‘CONFIRM AND CERTIFY’ button in the bottom right.
9. The next screen will ask you to make some legal declarations. Review and check the appropriate boxes and click ‘CONTINUE.’
10. You will be asked if you want to print a preview of the document. This is an uncertified copy for review. A certified copy is available at the end of the process. Click to continue.
11. Next, you will be asked for an electronic signature. Provide your full name and email address and click to continue.
12. The system will provide you an effective date for your SGLI election.
13. Print or email your certified document by navigating to the “Print/Save Certificate” tab.
For more information, take the online training course available at: www.benefits.va.gov/INSURANCE/training/SOES/SOES.htm
More information about SGLI can be found at the following links: www.npc.navy.mil/support/casualty/fsgli/Pages/default.aspx.
For more news from Chief of Naval Personnel, visit www.navy.mil/local/cnp/.